Mississippi Newspapers

Biloxi Sun Herald

The Sun Herald is a U.S. newspaper based in Biloxi, Mississippi, that serves readers along the Mississippi Gulf Coast. It is owned by The McClatchy Company, one of the largest newspaper publishers in the United States.

Hattiesburg American

The Hattiesburg Progress was founded in 1897 as a weekly newspaper and was later named The Hattiesburg American. In 1907, the Hattiesburg Progress was acquired by The Hattiesburg Daily News. When the U.S. entered World War I in 1917, the newspaper was renamed the Hattiesburg American. The Hattiesburg American was acquired by the Harmon family in the 1920s and was sold to the Hederman family in 1960. Gannett Company acquired the newspaper in 1982. The Hattiesburg American has quite a history of political activity. In the early 1960s, the Hattiesburg American spoke out against the development of the Republican Party in Mississippi. The publication echoed the Democratic contention that the primary beneficiaries of a two-party system would be "the 920,000 Negroes who dwell here." The American denounced Republican leaders Barry M. Goldwater of Arizona and Nelson A. Rockefeller of New York, rivals for the party's 1964 presidential nomination, for their common membership in the National Urban League and the NAACP. The American also criticized Robert Taft, Jr., son of the late U.S. Senator Robert A. Taft of Ohio for having stated that "no segregationist belongs on a Republican ticket or even in the party."

Jackson Clarion-Ledger

The Clarion Ledger traces its roots to The Eastern Clarion, founded in Jasper County, Mississippi, in 1837. Later that year, it was sold and moved to Meridian, Mississippi. After the American Civil War, it was moved to Jackson and merged with The Standard. It soon became known as The Clarion. Several employees displaced by the merger started their own newspaper, The Jackson Evening Post, in 1882. In 1888, The Clarion merged with the State Ledger and became known as the Daily Clarion-Ledger. In 1907, Fred Sullens purchased an interest in the competing The Jackson Evening Post, and shortly after changed the name to the Jackson Daily News, where it continues as an evening newspaper. In 1920, Thomas and Robert Hederman bought the Daily Clarion-Ledger and renamed it The Clarion-Ledger. On August 24, 1937, The Clarion-Ledger and Jackson Daily News incorporated under a charter issued to Mississippi Publishers Corporation for the purpose of selling joint advertising. The Jackson Daily News sold out to its rival on August 7, 1954, The Clarion-Ledger, for $2,250,000 even though there was a recent court ruling that blocked The Clarion-Ledger owners from controlling both papers. Both papers were consolidated into the two newspaper plants. In 1982, Gannett Company purchased the two daily newspapers and then consolidated them into one newspaper by combining the best features of both into The Clarion-Ledger. The purchase of both papers by Gannett basically created a daily newspaper monopoly in Central Mississippi, which still exists. Gannett was well known for aggressively hiring black people and covering events in communities of racial and ethnic minorities. By 1991, the Clarion-Ledger's number of newsroom black professionals was three times the national average and the paper had one of the few black managing editors in the U.S.

Mississippi Press

Beginning as a weekly publication in neighboring Harrison County, Mississippi, before the Civil War, The Mississippi Press joined with other newspapers over the next 100 years to become a prime source of trusted news for Mississippians living in the Southeast corner of the state. The Pascagoula-based newspaper offers local news, weather, features and pearls of wisdom from Old Crab. The Mississippi Press serves George and Jackson Counties, reaching 36,136 readers every Sunday and 34,758 readers every weekday.[ Mississippi Press Marketing and the Alliance for Audited Media].

Tupelo Northeast Mississippi Daily Journal

Based in Tupelo, Mississippi, The Northeast Mississippi Daily Journal was first published in 1872 and is currently owned by Journal, Inc. In 1934, the paper was taken over by George McLean who highly impressed and promoted economic development and education. The Journal’s headquarters are withstanding on South Green Street in Tupelo and this paper is led by editor Lloyd Gray and published by Clay Foster. Together the team distributes the paper on a daily basis to over 36,000 readers.